The Carpinteria City Council will hold its next regular meeting on Monday, April 13 at 5:30 p.m. at City Hall. To minimize the potential spread of the COVID-19 virus, the City of Carpinteria has closed physical public access to City Council Chambers for the meeting. Instead, members of the public are strongly encouraged to view the meeting live at www.carpinteria.ca.us or on Government Access Television Channel 21.
The Council will consider the agenda highlights listed below; additional details are available at https://bit.ly/3emlin0. Public comments on agenda items can be made in several ways that are detailed after the following agenda highlights.
- An agreement to continue receiving consultant services from The Housing Trust Fund of Santa Barbara County to implement and monitor compliance of the Workforce Homebuyer Down Payment Loan Program. The loan program provides deferred re-payment of down payment loans to assist low to above-moderate income families in purchasing a home in Carpinteria.
- A suite of COVID-19 Pandemic response actions including:
- Waiver of Business License and Downtown Business Improvement Area annual fees.
- Additional funding of $100,000 from the Measure X Fund to the Community Services Support Program of the 2020 Budget, authorize the Finance Committee to determine a process for approval and distribution of funds for COVID-19 response work to organizations currently funded through the Program, and waive Community Services Support Program application requirements for the 2021 Budget for organizations receiving a grant in 2020.
- Enactment of a temporary hiring freeze applying to all full time, part-time, and part-time seasonal positions.
- A temporary moratorium on evictions for commercial tenants if the tenant fails to pay rent due to income loss from the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Re-ratifying a proclamation of local emergency caused by the COVID-19 pandemic and receiving an update on the City’s response to the pandemic.
Members of the public may submit comments on agenda items via email to the City Clerk at PublicComment@ci.carpinteria.ca.us by 4 p.m. on Monday, April 3. Comments should be limited to 250 words. Every effort will be made to read the comments into the record, but time limitations may not allow for all comments to be read.
To make a comment while an item is being heard, members of the public may send an email to the City Clerk with contact information. Emails should be sent to PublicComment@ci.carpinteria.ca.us by 4 p.m. on Monday, April 13. Emails should include the following information: (a) meeting date, (b) agenda item number, (c) subject or title of the item, (d) full name, (e) call back number and area code. During public comment on the agenda item specified in the email, City staff will make every effort to contact those individuals.
Written comments on agenda items also can be submitted through the City website. To eComment, visit https://carpinteria.ca.us/city-hall/agendas-meetings/ and click on the “ecomment” link listed to the right of the meeting date.
Comments posted on social media will not be provided to council members.